Monday, September 14, 2009

Some vindication

Different sculpture, same idea, different result. I went through all of the steps from my most recent posts. But I did not use any wire structure to begin with, I sculpted the whole shape before letting it air dry. There were no extra legs or anything to attach. The slathered it with Acrylic paint. When that dried, it definately had more strength to it, but it was still not really hard to the touch. I have left it this way in the past because the figure was a pregnant female and it just made sense to keep it soft to the touch. But back to my progress. After the acrylic layer, I came back in with the fiberglas resin (minus the carpet.) and just left it to cure without any other materials. ( I used sand before) It dried crystal clear. It shows all kinds of cracks and imperfections and really magnifies the flaws that were present after drying. But I think I am liking this transperant hardening goo. Both produced interesting results. And yet there were only small differences in the processes used. I think the world needs a self-hardening no bake, no shrink when drying clay that remains very very rigid when dried. As far as I know there just isn't a product like this. If there is, I wish someone would please tell me. I love to sculpt, but I have no kiln. I have access to one, but when I am creating, it just flows and I don't tend to plan ahead. So I end up with something really great and it cracks and falls apart when dry. Then I have nothing excpet frustration. I have tried so many different products. I want something that acts like clay, hardens like stone-ex, does not shrink, and accepts paint or other finishes. Seems like a simple request.....right?

No comments:

Post a Comment