Thursday, April 9, 2009

Just Before a Long Weekend

I have a mound of files and papers and scraps of sticky notes, ALL with a task connected, strewn across my desk. Next week I have three meetings for which I have had almost no time to prepare. I can leave early today, and tomorrow is a holiday. But should I leave? Wouldn't the responsible thing be to stay and get done what I can? Decisions, decisions. I am very much looking forward to the long weekend. My boys and I chalk the front walk all the way from the street to the steps in front of the door. This is a tradition I started a few years ago when I couldn't resist the smell of spring anymore. I just had to get outside and create somethig. So, I told the boys that we have to paint the Easter Bunny a pathway so that he knows how to find our house and bring us Easter surprises. They love doing it. This year is the first time they are asking me, "Mommy, when are we chalking the sidewalk?" It makes me feel like I must be doing a good job as a mommy. They remember and enjoy the little things. That's Awesome in an age of video games and instant gratification! And it gets them creating alongside me. Does anyone know the reason for selling sidewalk chalk at Easter time? Is this idea maybe not as original as I think it is? So, you see, I have a million things to do as a responsible executive. If I don't get them done, I look like an idiot and my boss probably would look like an idiot as well. But my brain is already on weekend time. So, do I want to take off early? UHHH, YES! But will I? Probably not. I won't be able to relax on the long weekend if I am worried about the workload upon my return. I better get it gear!

No comments:

Post a Comment