Thursday, April 2, 2009

Pastel Powdered Manicure

So, it's raining again. Everything is soppy wet, muddy and the 45 minutes spent fixing my hair this morning was time wasted as even an umbrella is no match for 60 mph thunderstorm gusts. And yet, my hands are awash in chalky powdery mess. I have to deliver 3 pieces to my gallery by Saturday with a beast, animal or insect theme or subject matter. As I usually work in oils as of late, I have no time left to create something. Oils take waaaaaaaay too long to dry. So my first idea was to make papercuts and create a spraypaint masterpiece. No go! My plan was acutely flawed. So, I thought I would do something with pastels. I love the they blend and come alive with just a touch of water in critical areas. But it seems this plan as well is fatally flawed. You see, I have only the chalk pastels and in order to get the degree of detail that evidently I cannot live without, I need the pastel pencils. Living in the area I do, everything is mail ordered. I am having no luck with the messy, manicure killing, big, thick chalk pastels. So I have but one option remaining. I sit down tonight with a big sketchbook, pencils, markers, crayons, watercolors, and anything else that makes a mark and dries quickly. I love to create, but I am really not sure if I like creating on command. My lifelong problem with authority us showing again!

No comments:

Post a Comment